Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Prayer Update #8 (Last Uganda/Poland)

Hello everybody!!

I know this has been a long time in coming, but I've finally gotten to a place where I can sit down and reflect on what God has been doing in and through me.  So without further ado, my *last* Uganda update: 
 
Trip to Gedeon's Village
My fellow intern Jill and I visited Gedeon's (one of our guards) village in the west of Uganda near Kasese.  Over the 4 days we were there, we visited a salt mine, fishing village, the edge of Queen Elizabeth National Park where we came up close to a family of elephants and a few waterbuffalo (we sent the kids back to the car because they couldn't run as fast ...scary!) We also went to a football (soccer) game in the village where it was hard to tell whether the football or a couple of muzungus (us white people) drew a larger crowd.  The rest of the time was spent in a sitting room in Gedeon's house where we would have occasional visitors, but little conversation because most of them would only know a little English and we only knew a little Lukonzo (the local language). On Sunday we went to Gedeon's church and were treated as guests of honor.  To raise funds for the church, people bring different goods which are auctioned off at the end of the service. That night all of Gideon's extended family came over and we had a large dinner and took pictures with each generation.

This trip was very cross culturally stretching and although not easy, I really value the lessons and friendships made and deepened with Gedeon and his family.
 
Uganda Wrap-Up
As I look back on my time in Uganda, I am so thankful for what God did in me and thru me, it was wonderful to get to use my technical skills to serve ministries and to come alongside Ugandan christians to encourage them in their walk and in turn be even more encouraged in my own.  I treasure our times of sweet worship and fellowship and hope to soon return to that beautiful country.
 
The Interim / My job!!
Since returning from Uganda last July (wow), I had a few months of rest and adventures including church family camp up in Yosemite and hiking in Bryce Canyon.  And for those of you that don't know, in October God provided me a job from my very first interview with a company called MakeItRight, Inc.(www.makeitright.net) I found out about the company because Brad's (one of the EMI staff in Uganda) brother-in-law is the founder.  We are a structural engineering firm that design specifically for hospitals in California.  Our main office is in Arcadia.  I really love my job and the cool people I get to work with everyday.

I have also moved out of my parents house into an apartment in Pasadena with some dear friends from college.  So far I really enjoy Pasadena and have a enjoyed time spent with the good number of friends from college in the vicinity.  Also, there is an awesome swing dancing venue down the street that I have been taking full advantage of. It has been wonderful seeing how God has provided for me and is continuing to provide for me wherever I am!

Poland
I may live in Pasadena, but I still "commute" 45 minutes to my home church, Calvary Church of Placentia where I have been involved in the young adult group. In light of our commitment to taking God and his Word seriously, our group is preparing to take a mission trip to Poland in July to work at a Bible Camp. Why Poland and why this camp? In short, our church has a developing relationship with some of the leaders in the Evangelical church in Poland, and after meeting personally with the camp founder this past year, we were convinced that it was a place for us to serve. Poland is one of the most unreached countries in Europe, with only about .1% of the population being Evangelical Christians. Only twenty years removed from the dominance of communism, Poland is now ready for a harvest. The camp we will be serving at is a discipleship camp for young adults. We will be working with a group of young adults who crave relationships with other Christians their age. Since there are so few Christians in all of Poland, they rarely meet with others. We will be assisting in teaching, recreational activities, worship and also helping with some work projects around the camp.
 
I truly appreciate all your prayers and financial support of all my endeavors over the past few years.  For this trip I ask for your prayers and am excited to tell you that since I now have an income I am going to pay my own way.  I feel so blessed through God's provision and plan in my life.
 
If you want to get information on-line, our college and young adult group as a blog that provides updates regarding our entire trip to Poland: http://ccpfellowship.wordpress.com.

Also, I have posted all my Uganda Updates on my blog (http://hahaheather.blogspot.com).  God has taken me on a wonderful journey so far, and I believe there are many more chapters to come.  Thank you for all the ways you have supported me, I could not have done all I have done without you.

In His Grace!
Heather

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home