Uganda Prayer Update #6 (sent 5/18/08)
Hello everyone!
Things here in the Kampala office have been somewhat "back to normal" recently. We've been chuggin' away at the Mt. Meru Project and have recently sent them a 85% version for their review. I've been busy working on the water, wastewater, and electrical drawings along with the occasional architectural spreadsheet. I have enjoyed working on the different aspects of the project and seeing more of the big picture of all the systems that go into a building (or many buildings). The personnel here is in the process of changing: Christoph left Uganda last week and Greg, Stephanie, & Heather Peeler are all leaving in about three weeks. Also Megan arrived Wednesday, she will be serving as the intern coordinator for the next year, she was an intern last spring and fall and I got to meet her when I was in Uganda last October. Also the summer interns are coming on Tuesday, there are 5 of them, 1 girl and 4 guys, we are all excited for them to come, although it will be a little crazy logistically for the first few weeks they will be here. Please pray for everyone to adjust well to the changes that are happening.
We had a day of prayer two weeks ago where we all took the whole day to pray together and worship and lift up our goals and vision for EMI as a whole and specifically the East Africa office. It was a really great day and we had some personal time where I specifically wanted to ask God to show me more of a vision for my life (aka if missions is what He is calling me to long term). Well, I didn't receive anything as specific as I wanted but I felt that God was impressing one word on me and that was hospitality. So I have been thinking about what that means or could look like and I think at least for now, no matter where I am or end up, I want to welcome people into my home and basically just love them, which I suppose is pretty simple in theory and more difficult in practice. I've also been realizing recently how selfish I am, so I have been looking out for ways to serve my housemates and people around me (I'm planning to do the dishes after finishing this update). But I know that I can't change myself, only God can really change my heart and make it a lasting transformation.
I am going on another project trip starting on May 23rd until June 1st. This one is inside Uganda near a town called Iganga which is on the road between Jinja and Mbale. We will be designing Abundant Life Secondary School. We (Janet, Brad, Jill & I) got to go and meet with the ministry this past Monday and Janet and I stayed around afterwards to do the survey of the site. The main couple behind the ministry is a retired couple from Northern Ireland, Ernest and Thelma Howie. Thelma was telling us about their experiences with the IRA and the bombing and death threats they experienced. I loved hearing their accents and hearing about their home because it reminded me of all my dear friends from Northern Ireland and it was easy to see how their struggles and difficulties in the past have prepared them for the work they are doing now in Uganda. One thing that will be different for this project is that I will be working primarily on the structural with Brad. I'm excited to focus on something different and learn more about the structural side of things. After we finished surveying, Janet and I went up to Mbale to have a meeting with Bushikori Christian Centre (clinic, primary school, & sponsorship program), the site of my first EMI project, it was really great to see people who recognized me and to see one of the buildings we designed that has been built.
On another note I got my hair braided a few weeks ago, its pretty crazy and hurt at first and itches but I enjoy it. Here is a link to some pictures. Also, thanks everyone who sent me an email, I really appreciate hearing from you and hopefully I will soon get better at replying! It is almost surreal that I will be back in SoCal in just two months! Thank you for all your prayers and support!
Prayer Requests:
- Pray for all those in transition in our office and quick adjustment.
- Pray for Abundant Life School and our team to have safe travels and meet with God in a unique way.
- Pray for Bushikori Christian Centre as they are in the process of fundraising for adequate facilities.
- Pray for my continued processing as I seek to follow God in the next steps in my life.
In His grace,
Heather
eMiea Intern

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home