Wednesday, December 01, 2004

My Dance Class

So, I'm in Modern I at Scripps this semester, and it has been just plain awesome. We have about ten or so girls in the class and it has been great getting to know all of them better. The class is so cool because it is completely different from all of my Mudd classes and allows me to escape the intellectual part of myself and really just experiment and emote and stuff... sure the boys downstairs make fun of me sometimes, I don't really mind, because I really do love it and it is so nice to have that kind of release from the bogged down feeling of Mudd in general.

Anyway, today we all showed each other our rough drafts for our final dance project. They were all so cool, everyone had a pretty much completely different approach and were all captivating in their own way. The weird part is that we were supposed to come up with this dance without any music... it was just about the movement and what we wanted to portray by it, not interpreting music. This was difficult for me, I love music and dancing is mostly an expression of how awesome that is, but this was a fun experience to make movement in and of itself and not worry about what the music is portraying, only what I want to portray through movement (I really like the word portray). So mine is kinda random, quirky, comical and stuff and my professor commented that that is how she has come to know who I am and I felt that was kinda true, I really like being funny and I am definitely quirky(I like that word too) and I think that it is cool that that is coming out in my dancing.

I also read a poem for another girl's dance, that was really fun. I enjoy messing with that type of stuff to make it fit to her movement and add a cool atmosphere to what she is trying to portray. And after I read it, the other girls said I should do acting or something and I thought that would be cool. My only acting experience is the musical Fiddler on the Roof my sophmore year of high school where I had one line... good times. Anyway, now I'm thinking about taking an acting class next semester.

So from all of this, I think my concentration is going to be either dance, or performing arts... dance and acting. I love how they are so not about thinking, they are about expressing, which isn't often done in the Mudd bubble.

3 Comments:

Blogger Philip said...

Yeah, those modern dance classes are a lot of fun. It's too bad that more people don't take one. They really are such a great change from all of the tech courses you take at Mudd.

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are definitely my soul sista!

10:38 pm  
Blogger mishi said...

that was from me by the way, I forgot to put my name on it :/

10:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home